Try one of these ideas to punch up a space without breaking the bank
Adding new life to a space doesn’t necessary require a floor-to-ceiling remodel. Sometimes it’s just a coat of paint or sense of playfulness in decor that can transform a room from the ordinary to the extraordinary. Here are 10 ways to add a bit of boldness to your space and take it from mundane to wow!
1. Color. Don’t be afraid to go bold. Bright colors look amazing paired with white and black (or another dark neutral, like gray or brown). If your decor has a palette with contrasting neutrals, create a visual wow by adding one strong color, even if it’s in small amounts.
These cabinets are made by Laminex and shown in the Mandarin shade, but simply painting wood cabinets a bold color would give a similar effect.
2. Graphics. Does anything make a statement like an oversized or repeating graphic? Vinyl graphics, wallpaper or murals help to create an atmosphere in a room. Here, the black and white Superstar wallpaper by Phyllis Morris makes quite the impression in this eclectic Manhattan apartment’s bathroom.
3. Black. Whether it’s on an accent wall or an entire room, black paint is a bold choice that can make the furniture and accessories stand out.
4. Feature wall. Try to do something out of the ordinary for your feature wall. The rest of the room can remain simple if your wall tells a story. This Sydney children’s bedroom has wallpaper that mimics recycled wood with a drywall tree on top, giving the room a treehouse-like feel.
5. Unusual doors. One of the more interesting ways to create an impact is with an amazing door. If a custom door is cost-prohibitive, look in antiques stores or flea markets for one-of-a-kind selections. The custom doors above, gracing a London bedroom, are from French antiques dealers Ateliers Perrault.
6. Oversized art. If you have a large piece of art, you don’t need to put much else in your space. Keep the rest of the room simple and sparse, and let the art speak volumes on its own.
The art piece at left, hanging in a San Francisco apartment designed by Applegate Tran Interiors, was created by a Vietnamese artist.
7. Something playful. When you bring a conversation piece into a space as part of the furniture, it helps create a mood by making the decor interactive and engaging. Try a piece with a little whimsy, such as the carved wood hippo in this Melbourne, Australia, living room, which works as an extra seat and a playful accessory.
8. Switch up materials. We are so used to seeing the typical finishes (such as chrome and nickel) on fixtures in our bathrooms and kitchens. Switch it up. Try black or brass as a finish for your fixtures to really make a statement.
This industrial bathroom in Phoenix has black steel faucets from Brizo over the sinks and bathtub.
9. Oversized lighting. Whether it’s a chandelier over the dining room table or a floor lamp in the living room, oversized lighting creates a dramatic impact. This living room was designed by Christopher Elliot Design and features a Twiggy floor lamp in black by Foscarini.
Browse a collection of oversized lights
10. Special effects. Adding strip lighting or rope lighting to the not-so-usual spots in your home helps to add ambience and inspire awe. The team at OB Architecture added LED lighting in a hidden channel up the stairs of this home in England.